An ordinary user doesn’t know how to protect their workstation while surfing the Internet. This article will help you to close some of the security hole that you don’t know about.
What to expect when you buy your new workstation or laptop?
They only sell you the computer (e.g. desktop or laptop, accessories) with operating systems, a 30-60 days demo software’s of Anti-Virus and Microsoft Office package. Meaning after the demo period, you need to purchase a license for your computer.
What is needed?
You need to have updated Anti-Virus software e.g. Symantec, McAfee, etc. to protect your computer against new viruses.
You need to purchase a Microsoft Office with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. The MS Access database is optional
What basic security you need for your computer?
Check your anti-virus software for latest update, daily update is recommended.
Run Windows Update once a month for security update.
Enable the Firewall security, search our website for a separate document for how to.
Use OpenDNS for Internet content filtering, phishing, adult site blocking, etc.
In this article, I am going to share some information on how to protect your computer while surfing the Internet.
- First visit, http://www.opendns.com/ website and create your own account.
- Click on Dashboard to configure your setup.
- Click on Setting to update your Content Filtering
- In Content Filtering, you can choose your CUSTOM filtering level. For starter here’s how to filter and recommended configuration. Put check to the following categories:
- Adult Themes
- P2P/File Sharing
- Parked Domains
You can add more filter if you want.
- From here you should be ok.
Or continue updating your blocklist or whitelist
- In Manage individual domains
- Select “Always block” type the domain for example, websearch.com
- Click on ADD DOMAIN to block the domain.
- Select “Always block” type another domain to block here and click on add domain.
How to apply the content filtering policy to your workstation? Instead of updating your router DNS forwarders, I recommend that you make the changes to your test computer.
If you are using Windows XP, please follow these steps to update your DNS information.
- Click Start, then Control Panel
- Click Network Connections
- Double click on “Local Area Connection”Click on Properties
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click on Properties
- In General tab, select “Use the following DNS server addresses:
Preferred DNS Server: 18.104.22.168
Alternate DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
- Click OK to complete.
Open Internet Browser and type http://www.victoriasecret.com/ in the URL address. You should get a notice that “Site blocked. http://www.victoriasecret.com/ is not allowed in this network. This site was categorized as Lingerie/Bikini.
Of course, you can update your Content Filtering anytime you want. Just login using your account and make the necessary adjustment.
If you have question, please post your comments here, send me e-mail or visit the official how to http://www.opendns.com/ website.
EM @ KING.NET, http://www.king.net/