Skip to main content

Achieving a near zero-touch conversion process with Google Apps

Sanmina-SCI is a leader in outsourced Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS). We have 37,000 diverse employees and our business is very competitive. We needed something that was less expensive to maintain and provided better collaboration tools than what our incumbent vendor, Microsoft, offered.

After putting Google through the test in more ways than you can imagine we decided that Google Apps was the way to go – especially after we saw collaboration tools like Google Sites. Then our job was to migrate 15,000 users in 18 small feat.

We started with several pilots to pinpoint any issues up front, and we conducted user surveys along the way to be sure we knew what users were facing. Many users got very excited. They knew they could get email from anywhere, and have access to collaborative tools like spreadsheets and instant messaging. We also gained valuable feedback on workflows and other issues we'd need to have a plan for during the migration.
From the start, we provided more than just a "here’s what we’re going to do, take it or leave it” approach.

We were serious about ensuring that a certain set of activities happened in terms of communication and training, and showing people the features of Google Apps so they knew they were not missing anything. Then we would migrate a whole plant in less than a week. But the upfront training and familiarization process was paramount to our success. In all, the conversion went faster and easier than we anticipated.

One of the key factors was support from senior executives, who helped us drive and obtain support across the organization. We did get pushback from some employees but we spent time with them and showed them that, from a user experience standpoint, it might work differently, but they weren’t losing functionality.

In the end, we came close to our goal of a zero-touch conversion process as an IT team. It was a pretty highly automated, self-service conversion in moving everyone over. There were some gaps, but overall we are pleased with how quickly and efficiently the conversion went.


Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Social Networks

If you are planning to create your social network e.g. similar to Facebook. Here's a short list of alternative software's:

Open Source and Free​ - Wordpress (Open Source and Free) - (Open Source and Free)Commercial Social Networks software ($299 Stand Alone, $29/mo Cloud) (run with Joomla, need to know CMS) (very expensive, $399 for Standard) (from free to Commercial, I left my networks and they are selling it (I used this before, it's hard to maintain. I moved to NING but left too after it was sold to another company) (I don't recommend using this service, it's hard to export your data when it's time to move)Something to check when selecting your next soc…

Example of Out of Office Reply for Terminated Employee

This is a sample message that I used for terminated employees, unless HR staff specified a different message.
=== Example for KING.NET Employee === John Doe (employee or consultant) is no longer with KING.NET effective June 1, 2008 (termination date). For matters relating to "Project Name here" please direct your concerns to John Smith at (Manager or Supervisor). For all other matters, please direct your email to Mary Smith HR at
Please call our main office 703-345-6789 if you have other concerns.
Thank you.
=== end of message ===

Frequent Account Lockout in Active Directory

I have a user in Windows Pro 7, and Windows Server 2003 environment that is frequently account locked out. I tried many different scenarios to resolve this account lockout issue, from resetting his password, changing a new password, remove and re-join the domain, rebooting the workstation and active directory servers.

I tried to use the command prompt utility to run "rundll32.exe keymgrdll, KRShowKeyMgr" (case sensitive) to delete the account in Windows 7 password cache, and still no luck.

Still searching for answer ... Let me know if you encounter a similar issue in Windows Pro 7 and Windows Server 2003.

Continue reading updated post here: