Here's a step-by-step procedures on how to convert a Physical Server to Virtual Machine.
- Download VMware converter tool from vmware.com website.
- Copy the converter tool to your physical server, and double-click the file to install, and accept "default" installation. Open the client to start the conversion.
- In VMware vCenter Converter Standalone console, click "Convert Machine".
- In Conversion, Source System, and select "This local machine". Click Next to continue.
- In Destination , type the IP address or name of vCenter Server, Username, Password, and OS Family "Windows". Click Next to continue.
- It will prompt a "Converter Security Warning", click "Ignore" the Certificate Warnings.
- In Destination Virtual Machine, type Name of server ex. KINGNET_Server01, click Next to continue.
- In Cluster (if you use this feature), select the server, in Datastore select EqualLogic, click Next.
- In Options, click Next continue or click Edit to change the diskspace and memory. Click Next.
- In Summary, click Finish.
You're almost done. You can see the status in real time, and wait for the conversion to complete.
When you see the 100% complete, congratulation. You may now disconnect the Physical Server so you can configure the Virtual Machine IP Address, and test the virtual machine.
Continue the setup.
- First reboot the Virtual Machine, through the console.
- Install the VMware Tool to the Virtual Machine.
- Login using the console to check Device Manager, check the drivers.
- Update the IP Address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS1, and DNS2
- Check the TIME and DATE.
- Test the Virtual Machine