I have a client that have asked me to assist them fixing their "hacked" website through vulnerabilities of old version of Joomla CMS. I said you should always apply the latest release of Joomla, they are very active in patching security vulnerabilities.
eval (String.fromCharCode(118,97,114 ... etc.)
You can edit your Joomla files through FTP or Putty (SSH) program.
01. Check your index.html or index.php in your website root directory e.g public_html/index.php or index.html.
04. CHMOD your index.php or index.html to 444, this means to not allow modifying the file.
chmod 444 index.php or chmod 444 index.html.
05. Check your templates folder e.g. public_html/templates/folder; where folder is the actual templates folder.
06. Check the index.php or index.html and repeat the process between item 02 to 04.
You are safe at this point.
Security Assessment (Testing) for your website:
- Visit http://www.unmaskparasites.com for a quick online security check. Read the report.
- Visit your website, click the page view source to check your website. The first option is the most easy approach to check your website.
- If you have up-to-date antivirus software installed to your workstation, visiting your website will alert you if you're infected or not. They work most of the time but not completely accurate because some malware dissable antivirus program in some instances.
Now what's next?
01. You need to be proactive to protect your business (website), subscribe to Joomla Security News.
02. Install the latest released of Joomla CMS.
03. Share this article to all Joomla webmasters, so we can help them minimize risk of exposures.
04. and continue reading KING.NET Securiy AlertCon articles.